Stem Cell Infusion - Part 4

This is a continuation of my participation in the Stem Cell Research Program (referred to as CADUCEUS) with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. I volunteered to be a part of this Stem Cell Research Program because I have NO health insurance and I wanted the best health care available at Cedars. ~Wayne McDonald

On January 27, 2010 I had a procedure done for Stem Cell Biopsy. Since that time the CADUCEUS has been growing my heart stem cells.

On Friday February 26,2010 I went back to Cedars for Stem Cell Infusion. I was checked-in at 5:30am (ugh!) and had the usual paperwork to complete - cardo ekg - blood draw - etc. The procedure was at 7:30am with the entry through my right Femoral Artery. They proceeded to the LAD - Left Anterior Descending artery --- where my heart attack was located and where a stent was placed. (As I understand I had NO heart damage and my heart was only "stunned".

Normal time for Stem Cell Infusion is about 15 minutes. Well... After getting inside they decided to insert a 2nd stent (model XIENCE V) next to the first stent (model Medtronic Driver RX). This was a "Bonus" - not planned and the second stent is a metal stent which means I will be on a blood thinner (Plavix) for at least a year. The first stent was drug coated.

After the 2nd stent was put in place they did the Stem Cell Infusion. I was some-what-awake through the procedure - I asked later who put a mikey in my apple juice! I left the operating room at 9:00am and was checked into a room by 9:30am for 24 hour observation.

While recouping in my room I had a heart monitor attached and had my vital signs checked every 4 hours - temperature and blood pressure.

In addition, I had a blood draw every 8 hours to check my heart damage markers or cardiac enzymes.

I would also like to mention that the point of entry was "bandaged/sealed" with an Angio-Seal - a faster method to stop any blooding after a procedure.

Upstairs I stayed on my back for 4 hours, not moving and having the nurses checking on the SEAL to make sure there was no bleeding or problems. At 12 noon I was able to sit-up and have lunch. Spent most of the day sleeping - I was a little groggy. (I remember I was given an aspirin and a benadryl before the procedure).

At 6pm I was helped out of bed and sat in my chair to have dinner. I sat in the chair for about 2 hours.

On Saturday February 27th at 8am I had another blood draw, ECG/EKG and a Holter monitor put on my chest to wear home for 48 hour monitoring.

Throughout the day Friday, and Saturday, I have had no problems - no pain. Maybe a little bit of discomfort at the Angio-Seal.

I was checked out on Saturday at 11:30am and I am at home now resting.

My team of doctors at Cedars are the BEST and remarkable.

Note: This is an ongoing update of my HEALTHY recovery after a heart attack on New Years Eve 12-31-2009. Please click-on the category HEART DISEASE to read all my updates. ~Wayne McDonald, age 54 and 136 pounds - healthy.

No comments: